Family and Medical Leave
Faculty & Admin Professionals
|Forms & Notices||Summary||Military Family Leave||Departmental Responsibility|
- FMLA Rights and Responsibilities (FML Poster)
- Notice of Eligibility and Rights & Responsibilities
- Designation Notice
GINA Safe Harbor Statements
Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008
Family and Medical Leave (FML) is an unpaid leave intended to allow eligible employees to take time off from work for qualifying family and medical events in accordance with the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993.
- Per CSU policy FML runs concurrently with other applicable paid leaves (sick/annual/injury/STD)
- Typically, sick leave (subject to regular sick leave provisions) and annual leave (unless receiving STD) must be used before an employee can be placed on unpaid leave during FML
- Requires the employee be returned to the same position or an equivalent position after taking the leave including pay, employment benefits, and terms and conditions.
The Family Medical Leave Act provides for up to twelve weeks of leave under specific circumstances:
- Birth and care of a newborn
- Adoption or foster care or placement of a child
- Care for the employee’s spouse, domestic partner or civil union partner; son or daughter (under 18), or parent who has a serious health condition
- Serious health condition of the employee
- Academic Faculty and Administrative Professional Manual, Appendix 3
Military Family Leave
- Qualifying Exigency
- Serious Injury or Illness of Current Servicemember
It is the responsibility of the department to:
- Determine if leave is for a FML qualifying reason.
- Notify employee that leave may be eligible for FML within five (5) business days of the request for leave, or the date you acquire knowledge that the employee's leave may be FMLA eligible.
- Maintain records and documents relating to medical certifications of employees created for FMLA purposes as confidential medical records in separate files/records from the usual personnel files.
- Send copies of FMLA information to the HR Benefits Office.